This segment will cover the randomization, and how we turn each enemy into a unique snowflake. You may have seen the robots in the video clip earlier. They aren’t the prettiest (prototype art), but you’ll rarely see the same one twice!
- Start with a generic enemy core
- Create a handful of props (gear, weapons, accessories: ~3 models per slot)
- Create multiple textures (~3)
- Place prop attach points on enemy (include list of possible props that can spawn at each location)
- Setup texture swapping
- Setup texture swapping for props
- No defining features in base model
- Change the silhouette!
- Use vastly different textures
- Choose opposing colors, work your way in
- Hue/value, saturation: in that order
- Randomization should offer clear change
- Cut similar props
- Cut similar textures
- Cut props that do not change silhouette
When the individual enemy is lost, replaced by the faction, the goal is met!